If you only know how to do one thing in the kitchen it should be to know how to make a tasty tomato sauce. When you make your own you can assured that it contains no nasty preservatives or additives that shop bought sauce contains. Our TIEX version below is a basil infused sauce that is great on pizzas and pastas or whatever your culinary imagination desires. As it adds flavour to all sorts of dishes, a top time saving tip is to make a big batch which can be frozen for up to a month.
Heres’s what you need…
1 kg tomatoes
1 cup water
2 clove of garlic
1 diced onion
A large bunch (arround 80g) basil- stalks removed
1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
Sea salt – to taste
1 pepper –sliced (optional)
1 teaspoon of sugar (optional to break the acid of the tomato)
Here’s how to make…
1. In a medium pot, boil the tomatoes with water and salt. Let it cook for 30 minutes.
2. Whait until it gets colder, put into the blender and bland it until it forms a cream. Sift it in a screen and save it.
3. In a pot, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir. Add basil leaves and the pepper.
4. let it boil in medium heat for 20 minutes.
5. take of the slices of pepper.
Tip: If you want to make it with no fat, you can substitute the oil per 1 tablespoon of water to sauté the onion. To make variations, use different herbs.